This past Thursday, the IRS released Notice 2021-25 that provides guidance on the temporary 100% deduction for expenses that are paid or incurred after December 31, 2020, and before January 1, 2023, for food or beverages provided by a restaurant.
Temporary 100% Meal Deduction
The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, P.L. 116-260, provided a temporary 100% deduction which was intended to help restaurants that have been hurt by the COVID-19 pandemic. But under Sec. 274(n)(1), a deduction for any expense for food or beverages is generally limited to 50% of the amount that would otherwise be deductible. As a result, the IRS released this notice to provide more clarity to taxpayers to explain when the temporary 100% deduction applies and when the 50% limitation continues to apply.
Clarifications under Notice 2021-25:
- The new notice defines the term “restaurant” as a business that prepares and sells food or beverages to retail customers for immediate consumption, regardless of whether the food or beverages are consumed on the business’s premises.
- A restaurant does not include a business that primarily sells prepackaged food or beverages not for immediate consumption, including a grocery store; specialty food store; beer, wine, or liquor store; drug store; convenience store; newsstand; or a vending machine or kiosk.
- The 50% limitation of § 274(n)(1) continues to apply to the amount of any deduction otherwise allowable to the taxpayer under chapter 1 for any expense paid or incurred for food or beverages acquired from such a business (unless another exception in § 274(n)(2) applies to such expense).
An employer may not treat a “restaurant” for Sec. 274(n)(2)(D) purposes as:
- Any eating facility located on the employer’s business premises and used in furnishing meals excluded from an employee’s gross income under Sec. 119; or
- Any employer-operated eating facility treated as a de minimis fringe under Sec. 132(e)(2), even if that eating facility is operated by a third party under Regs. Sec. 1.132-7(a)(3).
Calvetti Ferguson works with middle-market companies, private equity firms, and high-net-worth individuals nationwide. Regardless of the complexity of the compliance, assurance, advisory, or accounting need, our team is ready to help you. Please complete the form below, and we will follow up with you shortly.