The Indirect Tax / Sales & Use Tax Manager is responsible for leading and growing the state & local tax (SALT) practice, providing thought leadership to the partner group while actively developing and mentoring other members of the Tax practice. Candidate must be able to assist clients with various indirect state tax issues. Candidate must also be able to review sales and use tax returns as well as consult on tax implications dealing with transactions, audit defense services, voluntary disclosures, refund claims, and reverse audit situations. The candidate will develop and maintain strong client relationships, as well as coordinate with Partners, Managers, and staff. Managers are expected to assist in identifying and delivering high value tax planning ideas for clients.
Additional expertise in the following areas would be a plus:
- SALT credits & incentives.
- Property tax consulting, planning, and compliance.
- Excise tax consulting, planning, and compliance.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in SALT.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in supervising multiple direct reports and reviewing their work product.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or higher.
- CPA, JD, or other specialized designation.
- Strong attention to detail with an eye toward accuracy and able to finalize documents professionally.
- Experience with both compliance and consulting related to indirect state tax items.
- Strong working knowledge of sales and use tax returns, nexus studies, and audit defense.
- Experience and a propensity to sell SALT work to existing and new clients.
- Strong project management, organizational, and time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.